Dairy-free Chocolate Ice Cream
- ¾ cup roasted sweet potato, mashed
- 2 cups canned coconut milk (use full fat. Shake cans really well before opening)
- 1½ cups mini chocolate chips, melted (use Enjoy Life brand. They are dairy free)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground vanilla bean powder or extract
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Step 1 ¾ cup roasted sweet potato, mashed
- Step 2 2 cups canned coconut milk (use full fat. Shake cans really well before opening)
- Step 3 1½ cups mini chocolate chips, melted (use Enjoy Life brand. They are dairy free)
- Step 4 1/2 teaspoon ground vanilla bean powder or extract
- Step 5 ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Step 6 Instructions:
- Step 7 Roast your sweet potato in the oven at 400F. This is the preferred method as roasting brings out more flavour. Simply wash and scrub your sweet potato, then poke a few holes in it, set it on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and pop it in the oven for roughly 45-60 minutes. The larger the potato, the more time it will need to roast. You literally do not need to do anything else. You don’t even need to wrap it in foil. Just simple pop in the oven. You will know it’s done when it’s super soft and you can simply poke your fork into it.
- Step 8 Alternatively, you can peel your sweet potato and boil it, which may take only 20 minutes, but roasting is best and more flavourful.
- Step 9 Once your sweet potato is roasted, set aside and let it cool.
- Step 10 Once cool, remove sweet potato from skin and mash it really well with a fork.
- Step 11 Measure out 3/4 cup worth of sweet potato and add it to your blender with the coconut milk, vanilla and salt. Don’t blend yet.
- Step 12 Over a double boiler, melt chocolate chips until nice and smooth.
- Step 13 Add melted chocolate to your blender and blend ingredients on high until smooth and no chunks remain. Taste test it at this point and feel free to add in some maple syrup or coconut sugar if you’d like it sweeter.
- Step 14 Pour into a container or bowl and store in the freezer for roughly 2 hours or overnight until completely frozen.
- Step 15 To serve – remove from freezer and let the ice cream come to room temperature. It actually starts to melt quite quickly and becomes this super creamy soft serve texture. Don’t let it melt too much!
- Step 16 Scoop into ice cream bowls and ENJOY!!!