Baked Rainbow Trout with a side of seasonal veggies
I love eating simple yet full of flavour meals. This one definitely hit the spot and it was a HIT with friends! If you haven’t tried okra yet, I STONGLY encourage you do and if you can get your hands on portulaca (a wild weed that often grows in the garden) – add it as well! I LOVE adding wild greens as they have such amazing medicinal properties. Let’s get cooking!
- 1 large fillet of rainbow trout with skin (about 4x 2 inch wide fillets), washed
- 2 zucchinis (green or yellow), spiralized
- 1 carrot, spiralized
- 4- 6 okras, sliced into rings (about ¼ inch thick)
- 1 pack of enoki mushrooms, chop off the bottoms inch of the stems *if you never tried these types of mushrooms, I strongly urge you to do it. They are light and slightly crunchy- delicious.
- 5-6 springs of Portulaca, leaves removed (optional)
- 1+2 Tablespoons of granulated garlic or you can also use 5 garlic cloves, grated/minced
- 3+2 Tablespoons of grass-fed butter (if avoiding dairy feel free to substitute this with more oil)
- 2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Himalayan salt to taste
- Step 1 Let’s start by getting the trout ready. Fill the large bowl with water enough to submerge the whole fillet of trout in it. Add generous amount of salt to the water, about 3-4 Tablespoons, stir it around and submerge rainbow trout, let sit for 30-40 minutes
- Step 2 Preheat the oven to 400 F and line the baking tray with parchment paper.
- Step 3 Remove trout from the water and pat it dry with paper towel, just enough to absorb extra water, place it on the tray skin down. Salt it to taste, I use about 2 teaspoons for the whole filet. Season with 2-3 teaspoons of granulated garlic. Add 3 tablespoons of butter (just lay it on top), and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes (the flesh should pull apart easily with a fork).
- Step 4 Divide fish into 4 portions, make sure to use extra juices from the baking pan to top your fish for extra flavour.
- Step 5 While your rainbow trout is baking you can prepare the veggies.
- Step 6 In a frying pan over medium heat, warm up olive oil and remainder of the butter.
- Step 7 Once butter is melted, add granulated garlic and mix it well together.
- Step 8 Add spiralized zucchini, carrots and okra to garlic butter and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Step 9 Add mushrooms and portulaka (if using), salt it to taste and allow to cook for another 1-2 minutes. Do not overcook your veggies, otherwise they will be mushy.
- Step 10 *Note: Be gentle when handling enoki mushrooms. Trim away about 1-inch of the root section. Use your fingers to tear the enoki mushrooms into small bite size bundles and line them up neatly. Rinse clean and drain.
- Step 11 Plate a serving size of rainbow trout and veggies, for additional nutritional benefits add a forkful of sprouts (alfalfa, radish, broccoli, red clover etc.) or fermented veggies (sauerkraut, kimchi etc.). Enjoy!