Pecan Loaded Cinnabuns (low carb/keto)
These cinnabun rolls are perfect combination of soft, crunchy and sweet. They taste so good that even your non-keto friends will enjoy them.
- 3 Cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 C (1/4 of 8 oz pack) cream cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1.5 Cups almond flour
- 3 -4 Tablespoons Swerve/erythritol or monk fruit sweetener
- Pecan Filling:
- 2 Cups of chopped, roasted pecans
- 3 Tablespoons cinnamon, ground
- 3 Tablespoons warm water
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 cups of Swerve/erythritol/monk fruit sweetener
- Cream Cheese Icing:
- 3/4 Cups (remainder of the 8 oz package) cream cheese
- 1/2 Cups of whipping cream
- 1/2 Cups of POWDERED Sweetener of choice (Swerve, erythritol or monk fruit)
- Step 1 If using raw pecans: preheat the oven to 400F. Place pecan halves onto a tray in a single layer and roast them for about 5 minutes, checking frequently so they do not burn. Once they are ready, allow them to cool and chop them roughly with a knife.
- Step 2 Drop the oven temperature to 350F
- Step 3 In a microwave safe dish mix together mozzarella cheese and cream cheese and heat it in a microwave for 1 minute, stir and heat for another 1-2 minutes until cheese and cream cheese are melted together and become a uniform mixture
- Step 4 In a separate bowl mix together eggs, sweetener and almond flour
- Step 5 Once cream cheese and cheese mixture is ready, add it to the egg/sweetener and almond flour mixture and work it in together with a spatula. This may take 3-5 minutes, dough will be sticky. You want to incorporate it together as much as possible. I find it is helpful to spray my hands with olive oil spray and mix it with my hands.
- Step 6 Divide the dough in 2 parts
- Step 7 Place 1 part of the dough in between 2 large pieces of parchment paper and roll it out until it is about 5 mm thick (you want it thin enough because the dough will puff up a bit in the oven)
- Step 8 Place rolled out dough onto the baking sheet and bake for 3-5 minutes (do not over-bake as it will dry the dough). Repeat with the second part of the dough
- Step 9 Once the dough is ready, allow it to cool for 2-3 minutes before filling it up with pecans
- Step 10 Meanwhile prepare pecan filling: in a bowl mix pecans, cinnamon, water, butter/coconut oil and sweetener. This mixture will be wet but crumbly
- Step 11 Divide pecan mixture into 2 parts, use 1 part per dough “sheet”
- Step 12 Spread the pecan filling across the dough, begin from one side and roll the dough into 1 long roll. Cut into 1 inch slices. Repeat with the second piece of dough.
- Step 13 Arrange 1 inch slices into the baking dish, place in the oven and bake for 7-10 minutes at 350F
- Step 14 Mix the cream cheese icing: in a bowl mix all of the ingredients for the icing and beat it with electrical mixer for 1-2 minutes until it is well combines and smooth
- Step 15 Once the rolls are baked, allow them to cool for 3-5 minutes and spread the icing on top of them generously.
- Step 16 Enjoy